If you or someone you know has been in a relationship like this? then you would have witnessed or experienced the strength of this type of connection and why it’s difficult to leave.
Some advice on how to break free from this type of relationship:
- Find yourself a counsellor or therapistBottom of Form
- Make a commitment to yourself to live in or start finding your OWN truth – even if that means you don’t or can’t leave the relationship immediately.
- Stop trying to believe in what should/could happen and look at what IS happening. Actions will always speak bigger than words at any stage of the relationship.
- Be kind to yourself as you are breaking the bond – think of it like an addiction.
- Start feeling those raw emotions whenever you are away from the toxic person. Talk them over with your counsellor or therapist – write them down if you need to. The paradox is the only way out is through these feelings. Don’t deny them.
- Hopefully these feelings and conversations with your counsellor will also reveal the ‘hook’ as to what keeps you addicted to this toxic behaviour that you know logically is unhealthy. You have an unmet need too which draws you to characters like this.
- Write a list of what is negotiable in a relationship and what is not – and stick to it!.
- After dealing with the addiction then start looking at what sort of life you want to create for yourself. I can help you with that with some life coaching and goal setting.
- Start investing in healthy relationships with little or no drama.